Adhesive is basically used for sticking two objects together which resists their separation after joining. It is used interchangeably with glue, or cement.
An industrial adhesive is anything that is used in a fastening or bonding application in a manufacturing industry. There are different types of adhesive that are used regularly – epoxies, hot melt, sealants, acrylics, thermostat and silicon adhesives. Cement and mortar are considered to be industrial adhesives.
Adhesive has binding techniques which helps in sewing, mechanical fastening and thermal bonding. They efficiently bind materials together and distribute the stress across the joint. Adhesives are found naturally and can also be made synthetically.
Types of adhesives
Different types of adhesives have different properties and different applications. Few adhesive have good bonding properties like hot melt adhesives which can be repeatedly softened and hardened by alternate heating and cooling.
There are pressure sensitive adhesives which need only very slight pressure to adhere to surfaces. They are available in water, latex and solvent based forms. UV curing adhesives gives a strong and permanent bond without the use of heat, as they use ultra-violet light, or other sources of radiation. Some of the UV curing adhesives bond instantly, while others require a longer time.
Some industrial adhesives are defined by their chemical make-up like acrylic, silicone, rubber and polyurethanes. Acrylic adhesives have a faster setting time than most other resins, and also offer excellent resistance to the elements. Polyurethanes offer durability, flexibility and high resistance to impact.
Rubber sealants and adhesives are widely available and have different advantages. Rubber adhesives are usually based on compounds such as nitrile or butyl which offer a strong yet highly flexible bond between surfaces. Epoxy adhesives are known for their ability to resist chemical and environmental damage, as well as their general versatility in many areas.
- Use of adhesives greatly eliminates the corrosion associated with dissimilar metals joining with different galvanic potential like steel or aluminum.
- The use of adhesive as bonding material does not produce any deformation in the materials or substrates, eliminating metal grinding processes thereby reducing the manufacturing cost and improving the aesthetics of the product.
- It does not produce any mechanical aggression to the substrate, avoiding any damage to the structure of the material.
- Reduction of the product weight, in the case of traction vehicles .Weight reduction is directly linked to reducing energy consumption and pollutant emissions to the environment.
- Increasing fatigue resistance using elastic adhesive thus increasing reliability and durability of the product.
Falcon Trading provides wide range of services. For more details, do visit our website at http://www.falcontradingco.com/